Are you familiar with the brown spots on face? It can be age spots. Generally, these types of spots appear on the face, chest, neck, under the arm and hand. The main causes of brown spots are aging, so it is well known as age spots, also know as solar lentigines and liver spots. Other causes of brown spots on the face can be genetic and long time exposure to sunlight. Some other factors such as vitamin deficiency, pregnancy and weak liver functioning may be considered as contributory facts to this problem. Brown spots are very common in adults, who are aged 50 or above, however, it doesn’t mean young people are not exposed to it. People who spent lots of time in the sun may get affected by brown spots on the body. When skin is exposed to the sun, the ultra-violet rays trigger the growth of the cells known as melanocytes, which increase the growth of melanin in the skin and the skin become darker. Ultimately, you become exposed to age spots, dark spots, sun spots or brown spots.
Sometimes these brown spots my show cancerous growths, despite true age spots are harmless and may not need any medical treatment. However, when you have age or brown spots on your face, it is not attractive at all. The age spots can be lightened with different skin bleaching products available in the market. Nevertheless, the most easiest way to avoid age spots or brown spots by using sunscreen and avoiding the sun.
Symptoms of age spots on skin
In general, age spots are seen in people with a fair texture, despite these spots can be seen in people with darker skin. You may detect the age spots as the following way:
- Flat shaped and oval areas of increased pigmentation.
- Affected areas usually turn into tan, brown or black color.
- Appear on skin that has had the most sun exposure over the years, such areas are the face, backs of hands, shoulders, upper back and tops of feet.
These spots range from sprinkle size to more than 0.5 inches across or often group together, the spots become more visible. Although, the spots are harmless, but it lessens your beauty or when you’re suffering from it for a long time, you should visit a doctor. Your doctor should appraise spots that are dark or have changed in appearance over time, since these changes can indicate to melanoma, a major type of skin cancer. However, inform your doctor, if you see the following changes in your skin over time:
- Your skin is darkly pigmented.
- The spots are rapidly increasing in size.
- The spots have an asymmetrical border.
- Unusual combination of colors.
- Sometimes you may experience itching, tenderness, redness or bleeding.
How do you develop brown spots?
Following are some causes of brown spot on face and other body portion:
- Brown spots after pimple: Dark brown spots on the face can be caused by acne on your skin. After healing of the acne, you may left with some brown spot on your face. Rinse your face regularly with clean water.
- Brown spots appearing overnight: Sometimes you may detect brown spots on the face overnight, however you may not be worried. It may caused by insect bites, or by using some cosmetics that may not suits on your skin. However, if you see blemishes, don’t touch them or do not try to pick up them. Left them to be healed naturally and you’ll see its gone after a few days.
- Hormones during pregnancy: Our skin types are different, every skin reacts to any chemicals divergently. Hormonal changes during pregnancy causes various types of scratches or spot on the face. Usually these spots omitted naturally after giving birth or even during the later trimester of pregnancy. Women who live in cold weather are more likely to have the skin spot on legs and faces. Such type of changes during pregnancy is known as the mask of pregnancy. Some acne prone women may have brown spots on the face on the forehead, on the nose or besides nose. Specially those who has a dark skin and faded skin. This type of spots also diminishes after delivery. The blood circulation rises during pregnancy underneath the artery of your skin. Skin glands also release oil that makes you look more shiny. However, many of the pregnant women are dry skinny. It seems to get stretched in the belly and breast, when they become fat or overweight during pregnancy. Hormonal changes during pregnancy is unpreventable. Still, you should be careful about your skin. You can clean your face properly with cleanser to remain fresh. You shouldn’t take any acne medication or treatment without consulting with a The skin becomes too sensitive during pregnancy. So, it is very important to stay away from sunlight. Use sun block creams to protect your skin, when need to go outside of your home.
- Brown spots on baby face: You may have seen same spot on the face of any babies. Its not a severe problem. Many babies bear such type of spot in their body after taking birth. The spots may grab an area like a point or an area like equal to basketball. Sometimes it is said birth sign. There are some other causes of having brown spots on the face or body. Many newborns got sick after birth and they need to take different medication. Such types of medications can cause brown spots on the face as a side effect. Some mothers use different types of lotion, soap and many baby creams as a moisturizer. These spots on baby’s are not permanent. However, don’t late to consult with a doctor if the spots don’t heal naturally.
- Brown spots by birth control: There are many side effects of birth control pills, brown spot on the face is the most common of all. Also, migraine problems can be caused by taking these pills.
Home remedies for brown spots on skin
Some home remedies will help you to get rid of these brown spots on the face or skin.
- Lemon Juice: you may not concerned, but the lemon juice has bleaching properties, which can help get rid of face spots and you can maintain soft and clear skin. Just apply lemon juice directly on the spots and leave it for 30 minutes before rinsing it off with normal water. To get results, continue this remedy twice daily for at least two months. Those who have sensitive skin, may mix the lemon juice with water, rose water or honey. Another method you can try, mix a little quantity of sugar in lemon juice and make a paste. Then use it as a scrub on your skin, especially on your affected area. Leave it for 5-10 minutes and then rinse it off with water. Continue this remedy at least 2 weeks or more, you will see noticeable improvement.
- Castor Oil: May be some of us are familiar with castor oil as an anti hair fall remedy. However, it has strong healing properties and can be used effectively to remove brown spots or age spots on your skin. You can use other types of oils such as vitamin E oil, coconut oil, olive oil or almond oil along with castor oil to get rid of brown spots. Apply castor oil gently with a cotton ball on the affected area and continue to massage the area for a few minutes and then leave it on for a few hours, finally wash it off. Use this remedy twice daily, once in the morning and again in the night to aid the brown spots fade and make your skin tone even.
- Buttermilk: It contains lactic acid, which aid exfoliates the skin to remove blemishes and brown spots without making your skin dryer. Apply buttermilk on spots using a cotton ball, leave it on for 15-20 minutes and then wash with water. Those who have oily skin or acne may apply buttermilk with some added lemon juice. Also, you can make a mixture of four teaspoons buttermilk and two teaspoons of tomato juice and then apply this mixture on the spots. Repeat either of these remedies once or twice daily until you are satisfied with the results.
- Apple cider vinegar: It is a fruitful remedy for various skin problems including brown spots, dark spots or age spots. Apple cider vinegar can help you dry out and fade the spots on your skin faster. Mix apple cider vinegar with an equal amount of fresh water or you can add some honey. Apply this mixture on your brown spots and wash it off after 15-20 minutes. Repeat this remedy once daily until you get positive results. However, you can use apple cider vinegar directly, but it may tingle. You can also mix one-half teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and a few tablespoons of orange juice. Apply it on your brown spots and leave it on until it dries completely, then wash it off. Apply this mixture repeatedly once or twice daily up to 5-6 weeks.
- Aloe Vera: It has great healing attributes and often aids skin regeneration. So, the use of Aloe Vera can be excellent to heal your brown spots, especially when your spots are due to sun exposure. Simply rub fresh Aloe Vera gel on the affected area and leave it for 20-30 minutes, then wash the area with cold water. Apply it twice daily and within a month you should notice your brown spots are faded. However, the fresh Aloe Vera gel is not available these days, you can choose ready Aloe Vera juice that you can buy directly from the market.
- Horseradish: It is a fantastic herb that has the attributes of removing age spots and freckles and other skin spots. It was widely used in ancient India as a beauty product and still one of the best home remedies for skin care, thanks to its skin lightening properties. For the best result, make horseradish paste and apply directly to the affected area. Keep it on for 15-20 minutes, then washing it off with cold water. You can also take a four-inch piece of horseradish, then smash it and mix one-quarter cup of apple cider vinegar. Apply using a cotton ball to your brown spots on skin. Continue applying this mixture twice a week and continue at least 6 weeks.
- Sandalwood: It not only helps you to get rid of brown spots, also the components of sandalwoods work like an anti-aging agent. The existing antiseptic in sandalwoods aid hyperpigmentation reduction and make your younger look long lasting. Make your own home face pack using two tablespoons of sandalwood powder with teaspoons of rose water. You can also add one teaspoon of glycerin and one teaspoon lemon juice to make the pack more effective. Then apply this paste on the affected area and leave it to dry naturally. Just use normal water to wash it off, you don’t need to use hot water or something else. Repeat this remedy 2-3 times a week until your spots disappear. Another method of making a sandalwood home pack is, take two tablespoons of sandalwood powder, and then add one teaspoon of lemon juice, one tablespoon of orange juice and two vitamin E capsules component. Blend it well and then apply it on your brown spots. Allow it to dry naturally or minimum half an hour and then wash with cold water. Besides, gently massage the brown spot areas using an oil pack, made of a few drops of sandalwood oil, one tablespoon of olive oil or almond oil mixture. Apply daily before sleeping and leave it on overnight.
- Onion Juice: It can be a healing pack to get rid of age spots. The acidic nature of the onion and the bleaching attribute will aid the brown spots fade. Along with the onion juice, you can also use garlic juice. To use the onion juice, slice up some onions and massage the slices over the affected area 2-3 times a day. Alternatively, make a mixture of one tablespoon onion juice, two tablespoons of honey and apply the pack on the age spots. Allow it to dry of its own for 15-20 minutes and wash the area thoroughly so that no strong smell of onion or garlic remain on your skin. Apply twice daily.
- Papaya: Papaya can also be a home remedy for brown spots on the skin. Some specific enzymes and alpha hydroxy acids presence in papaya made it an herbal beauty care product, which can help exfoliate your skin and diminish age spots, acne, skin blemishes and other skin problems. However, papaya is found allergic to some people, so before applying this remedy, do a 24-hour patch test. Gently massage your affected area with one tablespoon of fresh grated papaya and leave it on for 20-25 minutes, then wash it with lukewarm water. Apply twice daily until the age spots fade away. Also, your skin will be brighter and cleaner than before.
- Yogurt: Yogurt has mild bleaching properties, the mildness of yogurt is making it safe for every skin type. Using this remedy can be a very simple way to keep your skin glowing and removing the age spots naturally. You may use plain yogurt directly on the spots and it is harmless, no allergy fear. Leave it to dry on its own for 15-20 minutes before washing with cold water. For quicker effects, use yogurt on the brown spots before going to bed and leave it on overnight. Otherwise, make an herbal pack by blending two tablespoons of ground oatmeal, one tablespoon of plain yogurt and one teaspoon of fresh lemon juice. Apply this pack on the affected area and leave it for 30 minutes before washing it off with cold water and then apply some moisturizer. Use this herbal pack 2-3 times a week.
However, the above home remedies have proven effective on brown spots or age spots. When trying these remedies to remove dark spots, you will need to keep patience. No change will be appearing overnight or even within a few weeks. You will have to wait several weeks or up to 2-3 months to notice positive results.
Treatment of brown spot on face
The acne prone woman’s scars about the brown spot on face, surely it decreases the glamour of skin. You may have heard about many creams to refresh the brown spot on your face. Doctors may suggest vitamin E cream, Maderma, Neosporin, bio oil and Pantothen, nothing can escape you from this.These medications are considered as over the counter medication. Natural treatment is the best way to erase the spot. However, the pigment is located at the base of the epidermis, which is the topmost layer of skin. Any cosmetics or medications meant to lighten the brown spots on skin must penetrate this layer of skin. Age spot treatments include:
- Medications: Doctor’s may prescribe you bleaching creams such as hydroquinone used alone or with retinoids (tretinoin). Also, a mild steroid may slowly fade the brown spots within several months. Application of a wide-spectrum sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 30 is strongly recommended when you are seeking for medical treatments. Some typical side effects such as temporary itching, redness, burning or dryness may happen.
- Chemical peels: this method involves applying an acid that burns the outer layer of the skin, to the brown or age spots. New skin form takes place of your skin peels. Several episodes may be required before you notice any significant results. Also, sun protection is strongly recommended following this treatment. Side effects such as temporary irritation is likely and there is little risk of discoloration.
- Cryotherapy or Freezing: This treatment involves applying liquid nitrogen or another freezing agent to the affected areas to crash the extra pigment. When the area heals, your skin looks lighter. Freezing is usually applied on a single brown spot or a small grouping of age spots. This process may temporarily irritate the skin and slight risk factors still remains such as discoloration or permanent scarring.
- Laser and intense pulsed light therapy: Laser and intense pulsed light therapies are able to crush the melanocytes cells, which produce melanin, without causing any harm to the skin’s surface. When you’re choosing laser or intense pulsed light therapy, you will need several sessions. The brown spots or age spots begin to fade away gradually over several weeks or months. This therapy has few side effects, despite it may leave you with a slight discoloration of your skin. You also need to avoid the sun after laser or intense pulsed light therapy.
- Dermabrasion: This treatment consists of sanding down the surface layer of the skin with a quickly rotating brush, which removes the skin surface and a new layer of skin grows in its place. Temporary redness and scab formation are typical side effects of this treatment.
Also keep in mind, brown spot treatments are considered cosmetic rather than medical, so your insurance may refuse to pay for it. Since, these procedures may have many side effects, discuss your treatment options carefully with a dermatologist. Additionally, make sure your dermatologist is specialized and experienced in the technique you are considering.
Prevention of brown spots on skin
You may avoid brown spots on skin by following these tips and limiting sun exposure:
- Avoid the sun: The ultra-violet rays are most intense between 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. Avoid the sun during this time, make your outdoor activity schedule for other times of the day.
- Cover up: One of the best ways, you can wear a wide-brimmed hat that can provide more protection than a baseball cap or golf visor. Similarly, you can use tightly woven clothing, which covers your other areas like arms and legs. Nowadays, you will find clothing designed to provide sun protection in different stores. For the best protection, consider an ultraviolet protection factor (UPF) of 40-50.
- Use sunscreen: In case you need to go out within the above time, use sunscreen 15- 30 minutes before going out, use sunscreen that is able to protect you from both UVA and UVB light. Check the label, the sun protection factor (SPF) should be at least 30. Apply it generously and remember it will give you protection only for 2-3 hours.