Natural abortion overview
Natural abortion means abortion at any time due to natural causes. This is more common in second to third month of pregnancy. Even during the first few weeks of pregnancy, natural abortion may happen without recognition of the mother. However, many think that natural abortion is the abortion without surgical intervention. Self-induced abortion may also terminate naturally if safe methods are applied with proper knowledge of the method. In this topic, we will discuss only the safe methods of natural abortion. As the unplanned pregnancy rate is raised, many want natural abortion at home without others knowledge. In many countries, self-induced abortion is legal. However, in many countries only health care persons can do this. Self-induced abortion may be dangerous to such extend that it may endanger your life. So, if you want to apply any of methods at home, at first, gather knowledge about legal bindings of abortion in your country. Then gather in depth knowledge about any method, and then apply it.
Natural abortion method 1
Ingestion of drugs listed below have ability to induce natural abortion.
- Ergot is most commonly used agent for natural abortion. Its action is more when the pregnancy age is more. This drug increase uterine contraction. It often fails in the early months. It has a toxic side effect that it causes arterial spasm and gangrene of limbs when used in large doses.
- Hydrastis canadensis is another drug for natural abortion. It has a similar action. However, its action is less intense and its side effects are less.
- Quinine is also used for natural abortion. It directly acts on uterus or uterine nerves. It has many other unknown mechanisms for natural abortion.
- Lead in the form of pills made from diachylon (lead acetate) or lead plaster is commonly used for natural abortion. It causes tonic contraction of the uterus and also has a direct toxic effect on the cells of developing ovum. Death of fetus occurs in doses, which do not seriously affect the mother. But sometimes symptoms of lead poisoning may appear before natural abortion.
- Pituitary extracts have a specific oxytcic effect in uterine muscle. Thus, it produces natural abortion. Its effects are more prominent in near term.
- Synthetic estrogen in large doses have effects that cause natural abortion.
- Synthetic prostaglandin drug like Misoprostol is also used for natural abortion. The failure of this drug to cause a natural abortion by this method can happen. It leads to the child being born with serious birth defects if that pregnancy is continued. This drug causes a sudden drop in blood pressure and severe bleeding may occur if large dose used.
- Vitamin C mega dosage also thought to be a good method of natural abortion. Its mechanism action is still unknown. The most amazing part is it has no side effect.
- Decoctions of cotton root bark, nitrobenzol, picrotoxin and strychnine are also used for abortion.
Natural abortion method 2
Ingestion of some organic irritants may cause natural abortion. These are: cantharides, unripe fruit of pineapple, seeds of carrot, moringa and unripe fruit of papaya. Juice of calotropies, bark of plumbago rosea, caryophyllus, methi and saffron also induce natural abortion.
Natural abortion method 3
Ingestion of these agents causes abortion by increasing menstrual blood flow. These need large or repeated doses. Agents include Savin, borax, apiol, rue, laburnum, oestrogens, sanguinarin, senecio, caulophyllin and hellebore.
Natural abortion method 4
Some agents produce reflex uterine contraction. These are: oil of turpentine, oil of pennyroyal and oil of tansy.
Natural abortion method 5
Any substance that causes irritation of the colon may produce hyperemia and contraction of uterus and abortion. Magnesium sulphate, ales, calomel, castor oil, croton oil, jalap, phenolphthalein, rhubarb, senna, scammony, podophyllum, elaterium or gamboges are commonly used.
Natural abortion method 6
Rupture of amniotic membrane can induce abortion. A uterine sound, catheter, probe, artery forceps etc are introduced in the cavity of the uterus to rupture the amniotic membrane. Abortion occurs within hours to two to three days. Escape of liquor induces natural abortion. Occasionally natural abortion may not occur for days or weeks. Instruments or parts of instruments may break inside and may lead to septic abortion. Perforation of uterus may also occur during introduction of instrument.
Natural abortion method 7
Foreign bodies left in cervical canal can induce natural abortion. Usual foreign bodies are pessaries, laminaria tent (a dried seaweed) and seatangle tent. They are hygroscopic substance and swell up when left in cervix. Thus, they dilate cervix, irritate the uterine mucosa, produce marked congestion and cause uterine contractions. Through the dilated cervix expulsion of fetus occurs. The cervical canal can be dilated by introducing a compressed sponge into the cervix and leaving it there. The slippery elm bark is also producing same effect. The bark is cut in desired length and breadth and left in cervix. The bark absorbs moisture and on each side there is a jelly like layer on each side, which is thick like the bark. Therefore, the cervix dilates and natural abortion occurs.
Natural abortion method 8
Pastes containing iodine and thymol, potassium iodide, or mercury are injected from a collapsible tube with a uterine applicator. Ten to thirty milliliter is injected into the uterus through the external OS. The mechanism is in detaching the placenta from the uterine wall. Thereby, abortion occurs.
Natural abortion method 9
Prostaglandin E2 and prostaglandin F2 induce natural abortion when given per vaginally, intravenously or orally. Per vaginal route is more safer than others in term of side effects.