Most of us familiar with cold sore or fever blisters. No one can claim that he did not experience cold sore. This is most of the time seen after a fever or if you have fever at night times. One or more tiny, fluid feel lesions will be seen around and on your lips. The blisters can be grouped together or single. Some people get confused about cold sores with canker sores. Although they are not the same. In canker sore you may feel one or more sore inside the mouth, on your tongue, inside your cheeks or in the soft palate. Most of the time the canker sore is round and gray in color. Most frequently it is seen between 10 to 20 years people.
Cold sore are usually caused by a herpes simplex virus (HSV-1) closely related to the virus which can cause genital herpes (HSV-2). After touching a cold sore you should not touch your genitals or your eyes. Your eyes can also be affected. It can spread by oral sex to both mouth and genitals. This cold sore is like an infection, it can spread from person to person. So you should stay away from the affected person. Close contact with the affected person like kissing, using his towel or other personal thing should be avoided.
Usually there is no cure for HSV infection and the cold sore may recur sporadically. The main causes of blister or cold sore are stress and sometimes a weak immune system. Antiviral medications may help blister healing more quickly and will reduce the frequency of recurrence. In general the cold sore take two weeks to heal completely.
Home remedies for cold sores
Some best working home remedies for cold sores advised by our experts are the following. Depending on the availability of the products, you can try anything from here. There is no side effect and the things are easy to get.
- Vitamin C and E: Researchers have found vitamins are effective for cold sores. The white cells of the blood can be boost by vitamin C. Some great sources of vitamin C are citrus fruits (i.e. lemon, orange, tomato), broccoli, kiwi, green and red bell peppers, red berries and spinach. Vitamin E will help you to relieve the discomfort and irritation arising because of cold sores. This type of vitamin consumption will definitely help you.
- Cover your cold sore: You can cover cold sore using petroleum jelly. It will speed healing of the sore and protect against the secondary infection with bacteria. If you are feeling irritated pain, put a local anesthetic which contain benzocoine on the cold sore. If will make the cold sore place numb and the pain will be gone temporarily. It is not a good idea of hiding your cold sore with make up or lipstick. The chemicals can make the blister worse. Don’t share your make up or lipstick with others if you are already affected by blisters.
- Lemon Balm: After using it in different hospitals dermatology section, from a research team in Germany it is seen that the lemon balm helps more than two times healing the sore comparing to other balms. Lemon is a member of the mint family and using as a potent herb to reduce anxiety and stress, common problems related to cold and fever from the ancient times. You can get the lemon balm over the counter of a standard drugstore. Lemon balm stops the recurrence of the simplex virus.
- Sunscreen: Using sunscreen may help prevent sun induced recurrence of cold sores. You should look for sunscreen designed especially for the lips that has SPF of 15 and higher. Or choose a lipstick that contains sunscreen.
- Green Tea: Herbal tea or green tea can combat the cold sores. Green tea contains rich antioxidant called epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). This antioxidant has antiviral properties. A team of scientists discovered EGCG can reduce the proliferation of herpes of type-1 cells by 92 percent and the modified synthetic form of EGCG or p- EGCG can reduce the infectious cells almost 100 percent, published in a journal of food and chemical toxicology from the Georgia Health Science University. At least three cups of green tea or green the compressed three times on cold sore can give you high EGCG.
- Zinc: Some test tube studies show that zinc can kill up to 98 percent of herpes simplex type-1 cells. There is controversy about the lab test and a group of experts claims that it has no use in practical life. As we know cold sore can be triggered by stress. You can choose a zinc lozenges, it can boost your immune systems during stressful times.
- Milk: For getting relief from blister milk is one of the most useful home remedies for cold sores. Milk can speed up the healing. You can soak a cotton ball in milk and apply it directly to the sore. Leave it for a long time and then wash it. You can add some petroleum jelly with milk for longer lasting.
- Honey: Honey is a natural injury healer. Honey can be better than drugs. Taking raw honey can help to recover cold sores. Honey is less expensive and easy to get. Apply directly to your blister. Don’t lick the honey. Hope it will give your smile back as soon as possible.
- Licorice: This is one of the best home remedies for cold sores. Licorice is prominent for anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties. Prepare a tablespoon of licorice paste by mixing licorice root powder with fresh water. Apply to your sore gently, make a thin layer. You can use petroleum jelly instead of water. You can also take tea prepared with licorice.