High blood pressure in medical science known as hypertension. According to American Heart Association around seven million of US adults are affected by hypertension. This is a ratio that one out of four adults are exposed to it. A question may arise in your mind, Why hypertension actually happen? There can be many causes behind your hypertension involving your food habit, heredity, ethnicity, etc. Hypertension can cause stroke, heart failure, kidney disease and many more serious complications in the future. So high blood pressure treatment is extremely necessary.
How do I know I have hypertension? If your blood pressure is higher than a normal range according to your age. We call it high blood pressure. Following is different reading of blood according to systolic (top) and diastolic (bottom number)
- Your blood pressure is normal if the range is 120/80 or more specifically less than 120 over 80.
- The is a condition called pre-hypertension. If the pressure is not enough to call it hypertension. A range of systolic 120-139 over diastolic 80-89.
- High blood pressure (Stage-1). When systolic 140-159 over 90-99.
- High blood pressure (Stage-2). Systolic 160 and above/ diastolic 100 or above.
- Hypertensionin case of age. If you are over 60 years. A pressure range 150 or above over 90 or above.
If you feel your blood pressure is above the normal range. You should talk with a health care provider.
High blood pressure treatment naturally
Some natural remedies can help you to get rid of high blood pressure without any medications. As you can try the methods from home without any side effect. They are called natural high blood pressure treatment. The following steps will give you amazing change if you are at risk of high blood pressure. You can start with daily lifestyle and food habit change:
- Healthy Diet: A healthy eating can help you to manage various health complications. Your eating habit is a key factor to live a longer life. Eating lots of vegetables, fruits and lower amount of fat can assure you a younger look and defer aging. How food can be high blood pressure treatment? Actually a countable number of hypertension patient developed this disease only because of their eating habit. For example, If you are taking red meat regularly (i.e. beef, pork, lamb etc.) regularly, surely you are at risk of high blood pressure.
- Track your food habit: Before planning to change your regular diet, you need to know your regular food habit. Track down the foods you are taking at least for two weeks. You may discover a hidden truth about your eating habit. You can make a note what need to change and what you can keep in your healthy diet. Include your eating time, how much you eat and why eating in your note. A very useful diet plan in case of high blood pressure is DASH diet.
- Sodium intake: There is a significant relation between salt and hypertension. Different studies show that people who take 3-6 gm salt per day have a lower risk of hypertension than who take 12gm and more. In western countries people take more ready food and the sodium intake increases. If you want to reduce your sodium consumption, get an idea of how much salt you are taking. Be a label reader. Take those foods who are low in sodium rather than your regular food and beverages. Avoid potato chips, frozen dinner, beacon and processed meats are high in sodium. Use enough salt while cooking don’t add extra salt in your plate. If you are very much used to with sodium and food without salt is tasteless. Cut your sodium consumption gradually, your tongue will adjust over time.
- Vitamin C: Another natural high blood pressure treatment supplement is vitamin C. Add significant amount of vitamin C in your regular diet. Vitamin C supplementation 500-1000mg per day. Some great sources of vitamin C are lemon, orange, tomato, broccoli, strawberries, papaya, etc. You can also choose vitamin C supplements, they are over the counter.
- Garlic: In China garlic is used as a high blood pressure treatment from ancient time. At the beginning most people thought garlic can be a protector from cancer. Some others are amused by its ability of working against cholesterol naturally. In Japan, the government recognizes garlic officially as a high blood pressure depressor. The onion has the same properties as garlic. They are often combined and used. According to doctors garlic reduces high or low blood pressure, but it does not bother normal blood pressure.
- Take care of the belly fat: Some people only have fats around their waist. That can put you at high risk of hypertension. There is a proverb, shorter your belt, longer your life. If you are obese you need to lose extra pound to control your blood pressure. How much weight you should lose or what should be your waist measurement it depends on your body fitness.
Exercising habit: Regular exercise will help you to manage your high blood pressure. That’s why exercise is counted to be a major high blood pressure treatment. A physical activity of 30 to 60 minutes about five days a week can lower your blood pressure by 4-9 mm Hg. If you exercise for a long time a day, you will see the difference in a few weeks. In case of pre-hypertension (systolic 120-139/ diastolic pressure between 80-89) exercise can prevent the development of full-blown hypertension. If you have other physical complications, talk with your doctor before starting heavy exercise. Remember, exercising is a continuous process. Don’t practice extreme exercise, it can increase risk of various complications.
- Drinking habit: If you want to get rid of hypertension avoid drinking is a must. Sometimes small amounts of alcohol can helpful in case of 2 to 4 mm Hg. Anyone should not take alcohol as a high blood pressure treatment. Alcohol has more potential harm than controlling your blood pressure. If you drink alcohol regularly, or you can be identified as a heavy drinker. You should decrease the amount of alcohol by consulting with a doctor. Sudden elimination of drinking can trigger your blood pressure to a severe level. Having four or more drinks in a row can cause a sudden increase of blood pressure and other health problems.
- Nicotine addiction: if you are a smoker, you should know nicotine in tobacco products can raise your blood pressure up to 10 mm Hg or more within one hour after you smoke. Smoking throughout the day indicates a constant high blood pressure. So how can you start high blood pressure treatment without stop smoking? You should also avoid second hand smoke. Sharing cigarettes with others increase your risk of different types of heart disease.
- Cut back on caffeine: Does it really necessary to cut on your caffeine? If you take one or two cups of coffee per day at a time. There is no rick of high blood pressure. Your body gets used to it. Drinking more coffee and tea is harmful for blood pressure patients.
- Stress management: Your blood pressure can temporarily increase due to anxiety or stress. If you are leaving a busy life, getting stressed is more common. Think about your conditions, why do you get stressed? What are the conditions behind that? Your current job, money, family or illness? After specifying the causes try to eliminate or reduce stress. Even lack of sleep can make you stressful. A sound sleep of six to seven hours is necessary for an adult. A most useful technique of reducing stress is yoga and medication. Try deep breathing exercise during the morning. You can also get Spa to eliminate stress. Most of the time self-help works best for stress management. If you don’t see any improvement of your condition, you need to take professional counseling.
- Friends and family time: Your friends and family support can be a major trigger to your good health. Supportive family and friends make a man confident about his life. They may encourage you to take care of yourself, embark on the exercise program and drives you to the doctors. If you feel that you need support beyond friends and family, you are increased to join a support group. This may put you in touch of people and you will feel the change by your own.
- Monitor your blood pressure at home: If you are already diagnosed with high blood pressure. For more intensive care or high blood pressure treatment doctors may suggest you to track your blood pressure regularly at home and make a note of the reading. Consult with your doctor if you need home monitoring. If your blood pressure in not controlled or you are not seeing any improvement of health, you may need to consult with you every month and review your blood pressure. For a better high blood pressure treatment you can consult with a primary health care provider. People who don’t have a primary treatment or doctor facility often fails to control their hypertension. If your blood sugar is in a normal range, you may need to follow up once in six months to twelve months depending on future risk factors you may have.