Heartburn is a burning sensation in the center your chest caused by stomach acid backing up into the esophagus (food pipe) since the progesterone hormone relaxes the stomach valve. It’s a digestive problem which can make you uncomfortable. Most people have experienced the heartburn problem just after the meal. Heartburn occurs when the valve between the stomach and the food pipe fails to prevent the stomach acids from passing back into the esophagus, but don’t worry the treatment for heartburn problem is now very easy. Heartburn is not actually a disease, it is an effect of acid reflux disease or GERD.
The usual symptom that you will feel is a burning pain in the chest that usually occurs after eating and may occur at night. You may also have a sour taste at the back of the throat and a feeling of food being stuck in the throat. If you have heartburn that occurs daily, shortness of breath, radiation to the arms or neck, dizziness or cold sweat, then it’s considered to be severe and you should be evaluated by a doctor as soon as possible.
Treatments for heartburn problem
- Make sure to have a healthy diet: Choosing your food and drink that is easy to digest can be the most effective treatment that you can do for heartburn. You should avoid rich, high-fat or spicy dishes, chocolate, citrus fruits or juices, alcohol and coffee. Acid reflux or GERD diet work best to heal heartburn.
- Avoid overeating and certain foods: Overeating and too much pressure on the stomach, contribute to the problem of heartburn. Certain foods and drinks can develop heartburn, such alcohol, chocolate, coffee, fatty and fried food, onions, soft drinks, tomato sauce, vinegar and orange juice. Avoiding these foods and drinks would be a beneficial treatment for heartburn problem.
- Lose extra weight: Try to maintain a healthy weight for excess weight put pressure on your abdomen, pushing up your stomach and causing acid to back up into your esophagus that turns into heartburn. If you are overweight or obese, you should take regular exercise according to your health condition to lose weight, but not more than 1 or 2 pounds a week. Maintaining a healthy weight is a helpful treatment to cure heartburn.
- Have small and frequent meals: Try to eat small and frequent light meals regularly so that there is less time for acid to build up in your stomach. Try to eat slowly and drink liquids before or after eating. You can take a leisurely stroll after dinner to get the digestion going properly as a treatment for heartburn problem.
- Drink heartburn-easing tea as tour treatment: Ginger can help to relax the muscles that line the walls of the esophagus so that the stomach acid then doesn’t get pushed upwards. Boil a cup of water with freshly grated root ginger for 10 minutes and drink this as tea for treating heartburn problem.
- Avoid lying down just after a meal: You should wait at least three hours after eating before lying down or going to bed as a treatment for heartburn. It is not good to lie down after having meals.
- Quit smoking and alcohol: Smoking and alcohol is harmful to your heartburn problem too. Give up smoking and alcohol is a wise treatment for you to reduce heartburn problem.
- Sodium bicarbonate or baking soda: Drink one tablespoon of baking soda mixed with water as a treatment for heartburn problem.
- Yoga: Yoga is popular since ancient times for increasing physical strength and refreshment of mind. Yoga may exert an impact on the autonomic nervous system which controls contractions in the digestive tract and yoga can show you a significant improvement in heartburn problem. You can join a yoga class or you can do it at home as a treatment for heartburn problem.
Tricks to avoid heartburn without medications
- Keep upright and sit up straight during and just after your meals.
- Sleep in a propped-up position is very important. You can use several pillows, or raise the head of your bed with some cushions or rolled up towels because gravity helps to keep your stomach acids where they should be and thus aid your digestion system.
- Mix a teaspoon of cinnamon powder into a cup of hot water and drink a few cups throughout the day as an easy treatment for heartburn.
- Avoid tight-fitting clothes and put on baggy clothes that breathe to feel comfortable.
- Drink a large glass of water as soon as you feel the sign of heartburn since the water will wash the acid back down your esophagus and into your stomach.
- Try to drink a glass of warm milk every day as a treatment for heartburn problem.
- Coconut water is a natural acid neutralizer that can bring quick and soothing relief to your heartburn problem. It is very natural and easy treatment to try.
- Fennel seeds can be an effective home remedy for heartburn problem. Add 2 tsp of fennel seeds in a cup of boiling water and try to have this regularly as a treatment for your heartburn problem.
- Apple cider vinegar helps to stop producing more acid and stops heartburn in its tracks. The healing is temporary and you should not take apple cider vinegar regularly.
- Papaya helps the digestive system and you can have it following your meals.
- You may include beans, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, asparagus, and carbonated drinks to avoid the problem of gas as they are very nutritious. You can try wheat bran for fiber, which will help speed up your digestive system and would be a treatment for heartburn.
- You should stay away from high-fat and fried foods as they take longer to digest and thus contribute to bloating.
- Avoid gum and hard candy, particularly those which are artificially sweetened since they cause significant gas sometimes.
- Try to eat a whole apple each day as a treatment for heartburn problem.
- Generating and swallowing extra saliva can be a treatment for heartburn problem, since saliva helps neutralize stomach acid.
Sometimes expectant mother experience heartburn in later pregnancy months, they can also get help from here. You can find relief from your heartburn with these treatments. Since most of these involve making a few lifestyle and diet changes, so all it require is just your patience and consciousness about health. Try these treatments and keep yourself away from heartburn.