Acid reflux disease is a chronic digestive disease, many people experience from time to time. Acid reflux occurs when stomach acid flows back into your food pipe (esophagus), throat or mouth. Acid reflux is a symptom of a chronic problem known as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). You may feel a burning, stabbing and incessant pain in your chest in this problem.This condition can damage the esophagus and, in some cases, eventually lead to throat cancer or esophageal cancer if the disease is left untreated.
Are you experiencing symptoms of GERD, including heartburn, regurgitation of stomach acid, coughing, postnasal drip, difficulty swallowing and even excessive erosion of tooth enamel? Following the treatment plan for your severe acid flux may provide relief.
Treatments for acid reflux problem
If the condition is severe the treatment for acid reflux problem start with the following steps:
- Change your lifestyle and food habit: Maintain a healthy life and a balanced diet is a treatment for your acid reflux problem. Along with an acid reflux diet, avoiding the following food can lessen your problem:
- Spicy foods
- Garlic and onion
- Tomatoes and tomato sauce
- Fried or greasy foods
- Mint and Peppermint
- Lose extra weight: Excess weight can put pressure on the abdomen and push your stomach up causing acid reflux into your esophagus and the problem would be serious if your body type tends to put the extra weight around your belly. Taking regular physical exercise to lose extra weight is considered as the treatment for acid reflux. You can choose walking which is the easiest exercise you can take as your acid reflux treatment.
- Eat smaller and more frequent meals to avoid overeating: Eating frequently in smaller portions help your digestive system operate more efficiently and acid does not build up. Consider shifting to five or six smaller meals or snacks per day as your treatment for acid reflux problem.
- Avoid lying down just after taking your meal: Keep upright and sit up straight during and just after your meals. Wait at least 3 hours after eating before you lie down as the treatment for acid reflux so that your digestive system can function properly.
- Quit smoking: Smoking interferes with your digestion system by damaging the lining of the esophagus. Quitting smoking or cut back as much as you can, would be a helpful treatment for acid reflux.
- Try to wear loose fitting clothes: Tight fitting clothes can block the digestion system. Try to wear baggy clothes to feel comfortable and don’t lose your belt just after the meal.
- Make a proper position when you sleep: As a treatment for your acid reflux problem you can use several pillows, or raise the head of your bed with some cushions or rolled up towels because gravity helps to keep your stomach acids where they should be and thus aid your digestion system.
- Antacids can neutralize stomach acid: Antacids such as Maalox, Mylanta, Gelusil, Gaviscon, Rolaids and Tums provide you quick relief from acid reflux and could be your treatment for this problem. Beware that overuse of some antacids can cause side effects, such as diarrhea or constipation.
- Oral suspension medicines: Medicines such as PeptoBismol and Carafate can be used as a treatment for acid reflux. These medicines are prescribed for the people who have symptoms less than a couple times a week or month.
- Anti-gas and anti-flatulence: Medicines like Phazyme, Gas-X and Beano can aid in relieving pressure, bloating, and gas in the digestive tract as a treatment for acid reflux problem.
- H-2-receptor blockers: H-2-receptor blockers work by shutting off the production of acid in the stomach and they are effective for the treatment for mild acid reflux.
- Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs): These medications including Prilosec, Prevacid and Nexium are used to block acid production and aid in healing damaged esophageal tissue. So they should be taken as a treatment for acid reflux by people who are having more frequent and severe symptoms.
- If medications are not working, Surgery and other procedures are used: If your acid reflux problem is not controlled with these medicines you should Undergo testing to determine causes and rule out other conditions. Your doctor may recommend more-invasive procedures including surgery to reinforce the lower esophageal sphincter (Nissen fundoplication) and Surgery to strengthen the lower esophageal sphincter (Linx).
Natural remedies as the treatment for acid reflux problem
Some natural remedies also can cure acid reflux or GERD:
- Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera has been proven effective to treat stomach upset, diarrhea and inflammation associated with bowel diseases such as ulcerative colitis. Take Aloe Vera juice made from the sticky gel regularly as a treatment for your acid reflux problem.
- Glutamine: Glutamine is an ant-inflammatory that reduces intestinal inflammation associated with acid reflux and can be found in the food items including beef, chicken, fish, eggs, milk, dairy products, cabbage, beets, beans, spinach and parsley.
- Low-acid diets: Melons, bananas, broccoli, oatmeal, whole grains, fish and skinless chicken or turkey can avoid common reflux triggers. Try to have these foods as your treatment for acid reflux problem.
- Apple cider vinegar: It can be used as the treatment for acid reflux problem since it has a calming effect on stomach acid. Try to drink a few teaspoons of apple cider vinegar every day.
- Sodium bicarbonate or baking soda: This can be used as an antacid for the treatment of acid reflux problem but it is not recommended for people with high blood pressure or those on sodium-restricted diets. Drink one tablespoon of baking soda mixed with water as a treatment for acid reflux.
- Licorice: It can be used as an effective treatment for acid reflux by reducing stomach acid levels and coating the stomach wall with a protective gel and relieving constipation.
- Yoga: Yoga may exert an impact on the autonomic nervous system which controls contractions in the digestive tract and yoga can show you a significant improvement in acid reflux problem. You can join a yoga class or you can do it at home as a treatment for acid reflux problem.
Try these treatments for your severe acid reflux problem. These are proven as effective to control acid reflux problem. The untreated acid reflux problem can cause serious complications. So take care of yourself and keep away from the irritating acid reflux problem.