Most of the women complaints about heartburn during pregnancy. Especially during their second and third trimester. Lot of them also complaint about indigestion. That is actually happen due to hormonal changes. In later months of pregnancy, the womb will press your stomach. The pregnancy hormone (progesterone) may also relax the LES. It can cause stomach acid to splash out to the stomach.
How will I feel if I have Indigestion and heartburn during pregnancy?
The main feeling is that, you can feel pain in your stomach or chest. You may experience this type of problem during any month of pregnancy. But the feeling are the same, if anyone have acid reflux or heartburn.
- A burning sensation caused by acid reflux under the breast bone (known as sternum). The feeling can be from bottom of the sternum to the lower throat.
- You may feel uncomfortable or heavy
- Belching or burp
- Nausea (Sick feeling)
- Vomiting (being sick)
What are the causes of Indigestion and heartburn during pregnancy?
There are many reasons. Mostly, the symptoms of indigestion (dyspepsia) and heartburn is shown when stomach acid coming into contact with the sensitive protective lining (mucosa) of digestive system. The stomach acid breaks down the mucosa, which causes irritation. As a result you may complaint about indigestion. The most common causes of indigestion and heartburn during pregnancy:
- Hormonal changes of your body going through.
- Growing womb (uterus) will pressure the stomach.
- Relaxation of the lower esophageal sphincter (LES).
You also have chance of heartburn, if you have the following:
- You have been pregnant before
- At the latter stage of your pregnancy
- You had indigestion before when you were not pregnant
How Can I avoid heartburn during pregnancy?
You can get rid of this problem by changing your food habit and little life style change:
- Donâ€™t lie down after eating wait at least one hour.
- Try five or six smaller meal, instead of three meals a day.
- Know your trigger foods. Our stomach react to different foods for different people.
- Avoid High fatty and spicy foods.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol drinks.
- Take citrus fruit to an extant or limited amount.
- Avoid caffeine drinks. For example coffee, tea and soft beverage, soda.
- Avoid chocolate.
Try some natural remedies when you have heartburn during pregnancy:
- Wear loose comfortable cloths
- Try to bend the keens, not the waist.
- Eat slowly and chew well.
- Try little warm milk with one tea spoon of honey.
- Raise your head and upper chest while sleeping at night.
- Eat yogurt. It is one of the best home remedy.
What Are The Treatments and Medications of Heartburn During Pregnancy?
In most of the cases changes of your food habit and lifestyle is enough to reduce heartburn. If your condition is severe. You are not benefited from food habit change then doctor can prescribe you some medications. Some medicine types are as follows:
- Antacids: Antacids will give you fast relief from indigestion. They neutralize the acid of the stomach or make it less acidic. So the acid will not irritate the lining (mucosa) of the digestive system. A lots of antacids are available and your pharmacist will give you without any prescription. Ask him which one is best for you. Avoid antacids with aluminum, because it can cause constipation.
- Alginates: Some antacids may be combined with another type of medicine called alginate. It will work by forming a foam barrier that floats on the surface of the stomach content. In most of the case this two type of medicine will prevent heartburn during pregnancy.
- Acid Suppressing medicines: if antacids and alginates are not working in heartburn during pregnancy. Doctors may suggest you different medicine that will suppress the stomach acid of your stomach. There are two different medicines that are considered as safe for heartburn during pregnancy:
Ranitidine: Ranitidine is prescribed to take twice a day. It rarely causes a side effect. Follow the dosages of your doctor prescribe.
Omeprazole: Omeprazole may be suggested to take once a day. After five or six days your condition should be improved. In some cases it causes side effects. For example, vomiting, nausea, headache and diarrhea.
When do you need to see an indigestion specialist?
If you feel severe heartburn or discomfort of stomach still after following the home remedies. It the medications are described here is not working properly. Then you should consult with an indigestion specialist to stay away from indigestion and heartburn during pregnancy. Know more about acid reflux in infants click here.