Acne (also called acne vulgaris) is a skin disease, occurs when pores or hair follicles get plugged with dead skin cells and oil. Most commonly, acne affected areas are face, shoulder, back, neck and chest. Although acne can affect you at any stage of life, no discrimination of sex, age and skin color, but the most vulnerable age is the adolescence. Acnes can be distressing and reduces your skin’s natural smoothness. Acne on the face are more annoying and even embarrassing. At present some best effecting acne treatments are available. Acne lesion healing is time consuming, sometimes the healing and new crop up occurs simultaneously. The treatment takes minimum 1 month to 6 months, depending on your sobriety. Severe conditions can lead to emotional distress and scarring of the skin. If you start treatment earlier, it lowers the risk of emotional damage and lower the risk of spots on the skin. The universal wrong myths about acne:
Most of the myths are proven wrong. Study shows, they have almost no effect on acne. How you treat your acne? What is your experience? You may have found your acne solution. Lots of people said to us that their acne solutions work 2-3 months and when they stop using the product acne crop up again. For a permanent and best acne treatment you need to consult with a dermatologist. Over the counter medicines or cosmetics can only heal your acne temporarily. Our skin types are different (i.e. oily, dry). Depending on the skin types acne treatment would be different. Some acne face washes can remove the dead cells and control oils in your face, that reduce the margin of acne.
Usual causes of acne
Before going to acne treatment for your skin, let’s see some causes for acne. The dermatologists, including the American Academy of Dermatology refer the following reasons for acne prone skin:
- Over production of oil.
- Hormonal changes during puberty. In women before a menstrual cycle and prior to menopause.
- Some food can trigger acne. For example, chips or fried foods. Food which increases blood pressure has a significant relationship with acne.
- Not a proper cleansing of dead cells.
- Not removing makeup properly.
- Using of unnecessary cosmetics and low quality cosmetics.
- Some medication can trigger acne, especially where components such as androgens, corticosteroids or lithium are used.
Best acne treatment for a natural skin
Among various types of acne treatments. Here, we have described the best acne treatments for your acne solution.
Pore-cleansers: Pore-cleansers contain salicylic acid or benzyl peroxide that is very fruitful for acne removal. Pore-cleansers are over-the-counter medications, you don’t need any prescriptions to buy it. Pore cleansers prevent the acne trigger components that produce both oil and hormones. They also can prevent the blockage of the pores by removing dead cells. You can also rotate 2/3 pore cleanse products every 2-3 months. You should actually take a resistant treatment for acne. One single pore-cleanser may not stop resolving it. In this case, the products rotating can solve your acne. Remember, it is an initial treatment process only. If it doesn’t work, you need to visit a dermatologist.
Also Prepackaged acne treatment products are infomercial solutions that are available in shopping channels and the internet. These products basically are rich in salicylic acid or benzyl peroxide or both.
Best acne treatments suggested by the dermatologist: if the condition is severe and the over the counter type medications are not working. You need to consult with a dermatologist and get started with prescribed treatment. Most doctors prescribe different lotions to apply directly on the acne such as Tretinoin (Avita, Retin-A), tazarotene (Tazorac, Avage) and adapalene (Differin). These lotions are derived from vitamin-A and very effective to heal acne, also remove the red or black marks. These types of medications promote cell turnover and stop plugging of the hair follicles. Although acne is not any bacterial disease, but bacteria play a vital role in the spread up of acnes. Some antibiotics kill those bacteria. For an optimal result, you may need the combination of these two type medications. Dapsone gel (Aczone) is a newer acne treatment, particularly used to treat inflammatory acne. Some medications can show side effects such as, rushes, burning or redness. Consult with your doctor if you feel so, he will give you some suggestions to minimize it. Often this treatment process will take 3-4 months.
High-tech with Zeno: If you face the breakouts of acne sometimes, you can use high-tech with Zeno. It is heated electronic “zit zapper” approved by FDA. It can remove bacteria and clear pimples after using the “heat shock response” of the body. It is not effective for all patients. It may work for 60-70% patients, particularly it is best for them who have mild acne problems.
Antibiotics: If you feel inflammation and also for bacteria reduction, moderate or severe acne condition you may need a short course of antibiotics. It can work rapidly. Your dermatologist will decide the treatment period. You may need to continue topical lotions and antibiotics together for a certain period. It will be better if you follow an ideal cleansing regimen and benzyl peroxide product along with antibiotics. Some popular antibiotics are:
Antibiotics are best for the middle aged women who have also rosacea symptoms. Aldactone is not only effective for the middle aged women but also good for teenagers and young women or girls who have acne especially on the chin and jaw line. The outcomes of these antibiotics are really good. You have now clear skin and no dryness. If you use brand famous products, most of the time they have no side effects too.
When your acne is stubborn or your skin is developing scars, your doctor may suggest you take antibiotics and topicals. This combination suppresses the breakouts by preventing the production of oil.
Contraceptive pills: Some women see relief from acne breakouts by taking birth control pills. Why it is happening so? There is no any direct answer. Birth control pills manage hormonal swings and maintain the cycle related to different breakouts. However, the patient may feel other side effects such as nausea, headache or even depression.
Treatment when your acne is scarring: When the doctor sees, your skin is scarred. He may take an aggressive treatment. He may give you isotretinoin (Accutane). This oral medication stops the oil faucet. So, the traffic jam inside the pores is stopped and you feel comfort. But, the usage of isotretinoin (Accutane) has side effects like birth defects.
Laser and light treatment: The most recent innovation of skin treatment, you can go under the laser and light devices for switching off the oil production inside the pores. The laser can reach in the deep of your skin without harming the skin surface. There are two types of laser. One is like an antibiotic that forbids the growth of bacteria linked to acne breakouts. The second one shrinks the oil glands, like Accutane. The combination of these can give you longer lasting treatment.
Cosmetic procedures: Few years back cosmetics was used only to treat sun damage, minor facial scars, lighten the appearance of fine lines. These problems can cause temporary to permanent change of skin such as discoloration of the skin, severe redness, scaling and blistering. For best acne treatments use the combination of chemical peels and microdermabrasio, along with other acne medications.
How to treat the acne scars?
Even if you’re completely cured from acne the irritating scars can still remain. Doctor’s are able to treat the acne marks as well. You may also need to use some external medications on the affected area. The scar treatment procedure involves fillers, dermabrasion, the intense light therapy and laser resurfacing.
- Soft tissue fillers: A type of fat named collagen is injected into the scars in this process, left the skin with no scar or make it less noticeable. This treatment is temporary, you may need to repeat the collagen injections periodically.
- Chemical peels: High potency acid contained in different chemical peels can remove the top layer of the skin and reduce the intensity of scars. Some stronger peels can even go deeper.
- Dermabrasion: In severe case of acne scar doctors may suggest dermabrasion. It removes the upper layer of the skin completely and scars also removed with it. The deeper acne scar becomes less noticeable. Pigmentation can occur in darker skin.
- Micro-dermabrasion: A newer handheld device for scar treatment. It blows crystal onto the skin and polish the skin surface. Using a vacuum tube removes the crystal and dead skin cells. It only works on the surface, so scars can still noticeable.Even after taking several sessions.
- Laser and radio-frequency treatment: The laser treatment repair the acne scar by destroying the epidermis (outer layer of skin) and heat the dermis (under the skin). Similarly, radio-frequency treatment can heal acne scars. Both of the treatment doesn’t harm the outer skin. Help with new skin formation and after several sessions the scars will be gone or become lighter. However, you may need several sessions, but the result is subtle.
- Skin surgery: A minor surgery, cut out individual acne scars and stitches the skin or repair the left scar site.
The above are the most useful acne treatments. Laser treatment and surgery are often expensive. Many of them have side effects too. So, when you have to choose the best acne treatments, you may need to consider the cost and side effects very carefully. Before going to several sessions, consult with the dermatologist about how many sessions you will need, is it compulsory? Or how would be the total cost.