Prediabetes is a condition when you have higher level of blood glucose, but not too high that we can call it type 2 diabetes. The prediabetes symptoms are similar to the type-2 diabetes. There is significant relationship between prediabetes and diabetes type-2. If you have prediabetes, then you have a great risk of developing type-2 diabetes in near future. Patient with untreated prediabetes may develop type-2 diabetes within next 10 years or less.
More than 79 percent of Americans are affected by prediabetes. They are even not conscious about it more often. As the prediabetes symptoms are silent most of the cases.
Prediabetes symptoms in adults
The prediabetes symptoms do not differ much for men and women. In most of the case the classical symptoms of type-2 diabetes is shown.
- Increased thirst
- Frequent due to taking too much water
- Blurred vision
- Unusual weight change. Losing weight with no reason
Some other prediabetes symptoms involve:
- Skin color. Skin color may change because of prediabetes, by hyper pigmentation in certain areas of the skin. Your skin color will be black, light brown in color due to hyper pigmentation. The change of skin color may visible in the forehead, neck are, armpits and groin.
- Increased Hunger. Most of the prediabetic patient feels excessive hunger.
- Fatigue. Some patients complain about fatigue and feel tired more often.
- Penile infection (Men). Men affected by prediabetes may suffer from fungal infection in the penile area. He may feel itchy and took more time to heal than usual.
- Yeast infection (Women). This is an irritating fungus infection problem of the vagina. Yeast infections are common in women. More or less 75 percent women experienced it at least once in life.
Prediabetes symptoms in children
Your child can also be a patient of prediabetes. Infants are more likely to develop prediabetes if they are overweight. One out of 400 children under 20 years old in America is affected by type-1 diabetes. So, the prediabetes condition is alarming. Your child may get prediabetes, if he has a family history of diabetes. The symptoms are also about to same to the men and women.
- You child may gain extra weight as a sign of prediabetes.
- Infections do not heal quickly.
- Your children are always thirsty and urinate a lot.
- Darkening of skin
- Vision problem
Who are at risk of prediabetes?
Basically we have understood that, prediabetes in the border line between normal glucose level and developing type-2 diabetes. Some risk factors are:
- Your age more than 45
- You are inactive.
- Body mass index over 25
- Family or first degrees relative have had type-2 diabetes.
- Gestational diabetes mom and given birth of a baby over 9 pounds
- High blood pressure
- If you sleep less than six hours at night
- Your family belongs to African-American, American Indian, Asian American, Hispanic or a pacific islander
Some tests of prediabetes is here. Prediabetes is not so bad if it is diagnosed earlier. You get opportunity to prevent type-2 diabetes. You can reverse your prediabetes by having a healthy weight, changing lifestyle and food habit. You should check for type-2 diabetes once after every one/two years. Studies show that, if you lose your weights 7 percent then you are minimizing your risk of type-2 diabetes by 58 percent.