Diabetes is a group of metabolic diseases caused by high blood sugar levels over a prolonged period. If the pancreas is not producing enough insulin or the cells of the body are not responding properly to the insulin produced may result in diabetes. Though there is no cure for diabetes, some home remedies for diabetes, proper treatment and healthy lifestyle can give you a normal life. Three major types of diabetes are:
If you have been diagnosed with type-2 diabetes, you should know well about your disease and available treatment options. In type-1 diabetes symptoms may develop within weeks or months while in type-2 diabetes the symptoms are much more slowly even can be absent. If you experience weight loss, frequent urination, increased thirst and hunger you should evaluate to be sure of your diabetes.
Home remedies for diabetes
Many doctors think that insulin and drugs are not the best solutions for the patients who have type-2 diabetes and they suggest a successful diabetes treatment plan which can try at your home. These home remedies have been proved effective to control your diabetes without any unpleasant side effects. Here are the details of such home remedies that can surely be effective and useful for your diabetes treatment:
- Be committed to manage your diabetes: You should be determined and patient if you want to control your diabetes since it’s a disease for a lifetime. You should maintain a relationship with your doctor or diabetes educator so that you can ask for help whenever you need.
- Planning for a healthy diet: A healthy diet is an effective home remedy for your diabetes management, which consists of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes with a limited amount of saturated fat. Avoid sugar in your drinks and food items.
- Lose weight if you are obese: Are you overweight or facing the problem of obesity? You can make a significant difference in your blood sugar control by losing just 5 to 10 percent of your body weight.
- Make regular physical exercise compulsory: Regular exercise can be considered as one of the most effective home remedies for managing diabetes. If you already have diabetes, you can control your blood sugar level by taking physical exercise every day. Try to take 150 minutes of moderate exercise in a week. The easiest home remedy for diabetes is walking. Aerobic exercises such as walking or dancing and yoga twice a week help control blood sugar more effectively.
- Confirm yearly physical checkup and regular eye exams: A yearly physical checkup is very important to diagnose other medical problems and diabetes related complications. Your eyes should be evaluated by the specialist regularly for signs of retinal damage, cataracts and glaucoma.
- Your blood pressure and cholesterol should be kept under control: A controlled blood pressure and cholesterol level can be very effective to prevent diabetes complications. You can keep your blood pressure and cholesterol level stable with a balanced diet, regular physical exercise and medication.
- Your feet need due attention: Diabetic patients should be very careful about the properly take care of their feet. You should wash your feet with lukewarm water daily and dry them gently. You should consult your doctor if you find any cuts, sores or redness of your feet and they are not healing of their own.
- Quit smoking or other types of tobacco: Giving up smoking or other types of tobacco would be a great home remedy for diabetes treatment since smoking increases the risk of various diabetes complications, including heart attack, stroke, nerve damage and kidney disease.
- Be responsible about drinking alcohol: Depending on how much you drink alcohol and if you eat at the same time can cause either high or low blood sugar which is not good for your diabetes. One drink a day for women and two drinks a day for men, always with food is a moderate choice.
Some other home remedies for diabetes management
- Fenugreek (methi): It is used as condiment to prepare curries and it has many health benefits too. It can reduce the rate at which sugar is absorbed from the stomach during the digestive system and increases insulin production by stimulating the pancreatic cells. Soak a few seeds of methi in water overnight and drink the water in the morning.
- Bitter gourd: They are very useful for lowering blood glucose level in diabetes. Bitter gourd can reduce the activity of the alpha glycosidase enzyme which can reduce the hyperglycemia. Try to have this vegetable in your meal regularly.
- Cinnamon: It has been considered as a useful source for the treatment of diabetes. At least half teaspoon of cinnamon a day may lower your need for insulin.
- Olive oil: You can prevent diseases like cardiovascular, atherosclerosis and diabetes with the consumption of olive oil as it reduces the cholesterol levels. You can use olive oil for preparing foods and would be a healthy home remedy for your diabetes treatment.
- Bitter melon: It has been proven that bitter melon has a great effect on the treatment of diabetes. It contains properties like insulin and frequent use of bitter melon helps lowering the blood and urine levels.
- Fig leaves: It has antibiotic properties and helps in diabetes treatment. You have to boil the leaves of the fig in some freshly filtered water and drink this as a tea to obtain a good result from this home remedy for diabetes.
- Black seeds: Black seed is known as a cure for all diseases except death. Try to have some black seed in your daily meal. Oil can be made of black seed and you can use oil too. To obtain a good result, you should do this for at least one month.
- Basil leaves: Holy basil leaves which are mainly known as tulsi consists of anti-oxidants and essential oil that can help to conduct pancreas beta cells function properly. Thus, it can increase the sensitivity to insulin. You can have one tablespoon of juice that is made from basil leaves or can use two or three leaves. You should have this on an empty stomach in order to control your diabetes.
- Green tea: Green tea helps to control blood sugar. It also helps the body to use insulin better. Try to have two or three cups of green tea daily.
- Aloe Vera: Make juice with Aloe Vera gel and mix some turmeric powder and consume this drink before your meal every day to keep away from diabetes.
These home remedies are showing good results with controlling the diabetes complications along with the drugs and medications suggested by the doctors. Diabetes won’t be a life threatening disease if you take a proper care of your health with these easy and effective home remedies.