Prediabetes is the primary condition or step of type 2 diabetes. Prediabetes means high blood sugar level but it is not as high as diabetes. You can prevent type 2 diabetes by controlling prediabetes. Right diet plan, exercise, healthy life routines and regular medical checkups can manage prediabetes. See more actually what prediabetes is.
How can right diet reverse prediabetes?
The main reasons of prediabetes are unhealthy eating habit and lack of physical movement or exercise. Unhealthy eating leads to overweight. And overweight is the main culprit of rising blood sugar level. There are two ways of losing weight such as- eating healthy meals and increasing physical exercise. Only right type of foods can lose your weight 5% to 7% of your present weight. Losing weight means you are reversing your prediabetes and decreasing the risk of type 2 diabetes.
Prediabetes food list
The person, who has already prediabetes, he must be close to an ideal food list. That means what they can eat and what they cannot eat. You should follow your doctor’s food list. Generally doctor opines to eat non-starchy vegetables and fruits, lean meat, non-fat fish, low-carbohydrates, low-calories, various non-fat beans, brown rice, whole-grains etc. He also forbids taking starchy fruits and vegetables, Trans fat, high calorie foods, high fat foods, whole milk, regular cheese etc. In fact, food plays the main role to lose your weight with exercise. So, don’t neglect right food list. Know more about prediabetes food list. Here, you can know the 2 lists of foods. One you should eat and another you should not eat.
Best prediabetes diet plan given by American Diabetes Association
- Eat fewer calories- You should eat 500 to 1000 calories less than you eat regularly. It will lose your weight 1 to 2 pounds a week.
- Say no to saturated fat and regular fat- Saturated fat is severely liable to develop overweight. Eat 10% less saturated fat than your regular saturated fat. Eat less than 30% regular fat than you eat daily.
- Get avoided high fat foods- High fat foods are burgers, cheese, ground meats, frozen pepperoni pizza, chicken pot pie, butter, fatty meats like prime rib and hot dogs, poultry skin; ice cream, cookies, cakes, pies, crackers, and French fries.
- Get close to omega 3 fat - Omega 3 fat helps to use insulin while saturated fats forbid using insulin. Omega 3 fat rich foods are salmon, herring, walnuts, trout, flax seed oil, sardines, and flax seeds.
- Moderate amount of carbohydrate-The right amount of carbohydrate diet is very important. When you take 50% to 55% calories a day from carbohydrate diet, your insulin activities responses positively. Your regular carbohydrate must be around 250 grams of total 2000 calories. Vegetables and fruit, dried beans and whole grain breads, cereals, and pasta can give you right carbohydrates.
- Eat 20 to 25 grams fiber daily- High rich fiber diets keep blood sugar level normal. Some fiber rich diets are beans, lentils, oats, vegetables, cereals, bran, whole fruits, and whole-grain breads.
A sample menu for prediabetes diet plan
If you have prediabetes, there is a possibility to take place type 2 diabetes within the next 10 years. It is an alarming report for you. But don’t worry. The doctors say, only losing weight can manage your prediabetes and prevent you from the threat of type 2 diabetes. But, now the question is how you can lose your weight. There are two ways of losing weight. One is eating healthy diet plan or menu and other is to take regular exercise. In this case, your best or healthy diet plan is the vital point to lose weight.
An 1800 calorie diet plan or menu
Suppose you need an 1800 calorie diet or meal plan. Of course, calorie differs from person to person as his need and condition.
- For breakfast- You can eat a 400 calorie breakfast. You should divide your breakfast into 3 portions or servings. One serving is equal to 1-2 oz lean protein. Second serving is one and half cup of vegetables and fruits, vegetables must be little more than fruits. Third serving is starches and whole grains. You can also eat one glass skim milk or one cup low or non-fat yogurt. These will balance your breakfast.
- For lunch- You can eat a 500 calorie lunch. You can eat one serving lean protein, one serving non-starchy vegetables and other serving whole grains.
- For mid-afternoon snack- You can eat a 200 calorie snack. Your snack may include 4 ounces non fat milk and ½ pea nut butter sandwich.
- For dinner- Your dinner will be also 500 calorie diets. Diner may be same to lunch or you can changes your diet items but containing same calories.
- For after-2 hours-diner snack – Here the snack is also 200 calorie. You can eat the same diets of previous snack or you can eat as your taste but contain the same calories.
9 tips on diets must manage your prediabetes
- Eat foods rich in fiber.
- Eat low or non-fat animal foods.
- Solid plant foods such as- fresh fruits, non-starchy vegetables, whole grains etc.
- Eat variety of colorful foods because they give all nutrients, vitamins, minerals, fibers and energy.
- Eat 3 major meals.
- Eat every 4 hours.
- Don’t skip any meal or snack because it rises blood sugar levels.
- Take 2 or 3 snacks.
- Eat 3 meals as same size.
Considering Prediabetes and alcohol with diet
Many become confused whether they should take alcohol or not. We say the moderate and wise amount of alcohol helps to lower your blood sugar levels. But, don’t take wine. Man can drink one to two servings a day and woman can drink just one serving a day or not. The persons, who do not drink alcohol, please don’t drink it for lowering or managing your prediabetes. See the relation between prediabetes and alcohol in detail. It helps you lot treat alcohol.
Heavy or large amount of alcohol drinking harms pancreas. Pancreas basically produces insulin in the natural way and insulin controls blood sugar levels. So, if you drink huge amount of alcohol, you have more possibility to experience prediabetes or type 2 diabetes.
Go ahead with your prediabetes diet plan or menu and through away your risk of prediabetes in dustbin.