Dust mite allergy symptoms are very common. I don’t tolerate at all house dust mites. Once after cleaning my house, I felt severe runny nose and sneezing. Then I understood that these are dust mite allergy symptoms. Now I wear mask to clean house dust. Anyway, let me tell about house dust mite allergy and its symptoms.
What is house dust mite allergy?
Dust mite allergy comes from tiny bugs in house dust. House dust is the main source of dust mite allergy. Dust mites are so tiny that we cannot see them without microscope. Many think that dust mites are close relatives of spiders and ticks. Dust mites mainly eat flaky and dead skin cells shed by humans and animals. They like to live in warm and humid environment. They like more than 70 F temperatures and 70% to 80% humidity. House dust mites cannot live in drier or colder environments. Bedding, carpeting and upholstered furniture are the main living environments for them.
How does house dust mite allergy threaten us?
House dust mites are spreading rapidly and creating lot of allergy related diseases. About 20 millions of Americans are allergic to dust mites. In July and August the weather is warm in USA. During this time dust mite allergy spreads more. Dust mite allergy symptoms are primarily sneezing and runny rose. Many people experience severe symptoms of dust mite allergy such as-wheezing and difficult breathing from asthma. We can reduce dust mite allergy symptoms by cleaning dust from house. Medications or treatments are helpful to manage and control asthma.
Actually what causes house dust mites allergy?
House dust is the main reason of dust mite allergy symptoms. The house in which pets live, is best for dust mite allergy. It may be nasty to hear but true that pet’s dander or feces are better sources of dust mite allergy. Besides, dead cockroaches, saliva, mold spores and dead skin shed by humans and animals are causing dust mite allergy symptoms.
What are risk factors for dust mite allergy?
The following risk factors are threats for us to be allergic to dust mites.
- Child or young adults- Child or young adults have more possibility to face dust mite allergy symptoms.
- Huge exposure to dust- During early stage of life we face huge exposure of dust. Such as- children like to play with various dusty household things.
- Family allergy- If you have a history of family allergy, you have more possibility to experience dust mite allergy symptoms.
What are common dust mite allergy symptoms?
Dust mite allergy symptoms may be mild to severe. The common symptoms of house dust mite allergy are as follows.
- Sneezing and runny nose
- Itchy, red or watery eyes
- Nasal congestion
- Itchy nose, mouth and throat
- Postnasal drip
- Facial pressure and pain
- Swollen, blue-colored skin under your eyes
- In a child, frequent upward rubbing of the nose
In case of severe symptoms of dust mite allergy, you may experience sinus infections and asthma. Sinus infections and asthma may bring about severe symptoms.
If you face asthma from dust mite allergy, you may notice the following symptoms.
- Breathing difficulty
- Tight chest or pain
- Wheezing sound when exhaling
- Sleeping problem caused by short breath, coughing or wheezing
- Cough bouts or wheezing that are worsened by a respiratory virus such as a cold or the flu
Sinuses are hollow cavities connected nasal passages. Dust might allergy may inflame the tissues in the nasal passages. When the inflammations in nasal passages are chronic, it may obstruct severely your sinuses. Then it infects your sinuses and converts into sinusitis disease.
How to prevent and reduce house dust mite allergy symptoms?
The best way to prevent or reduce house dust mite allergy symptoms is not to expose to dust. Keep your house dust free. Especially bedding, mattresses, floors and upholstered furniture are the main sources of dust mites. So, keep them free from dust. When you clean them, you should use mask.
Besides, your life style changes and home remedies are best options to prevent or treat dust mite allergy. You must follow the following tips to treat dust mite allergy.
- Wash your bedding weekly.
- It is better to use allergen-proof bed clothes or covers.
- Keeping humidity under 50% is good for reducing dust mite allergy symptoms.
- The bedding that traps dust should not be used.
- Wash your stuffed toys with hot water if they are washable. Keep them away from bedding.
- Clean dust with a damp or oil base mop or rag so that the dust cannot be airborne. Don’t use dry cleaner to clean dust because it flies dust in air.
- Vacuum cleaner is good to remove surface dust from furniture and other household materials. But remember vacuum cleaner cannot remove dust mites completely. You should use a vacuum cleaner of a double-layered micro filter bag or a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter. It helps to reduce house dust-emissions from the cleaner. If you are allergic severely to dust mites, you should not do it. Keep away from the vacuumed spaces for 2 hours after vacuuming.
- Books, magazines, small showpieces, tabletop things, newspaper and other knickknacks collect dust mites. So, keep away them from bed room.
- Carpeting over concrete is a best place for dust mites because it is moisturized always by concrete. So, be careful about the cleaning of carpeting. Try to use the carpeting that cannot trap dust mites.
- Be careful about your windows’ shades and curtains that trap dust mites. Clean them regularly.
When should you go to doctor?
Runny nose and sneezing are also the symptoms of cold. When you see that you are suffering from runny nose and sneezing longer than one week, it is sure that it is allergy. When you notice severer symptoms like nasal congestion, difficulty sleeping or wheezing, you must go to your doctor. If wheezing or breathing difficulty becomes worsen, you should take emergent medical treatment.
Medications and drugs for dust mite allergy
The first and foremost way is to avoid dust mites. Even if you face dust mites allergy symptoms you may use the following drugs and medications.
- Antihistamines- It relieves you from itching, sneezing and runny nose. Antihistamines syrups are good for children
- Corticosteroids- It reduces inflammation and controls symptoms of hay fever.
- Decongestants-It helps you to breath easily through nose.
You should not use these medications or drugs without your doctor’s prescriptions. You can also use various therapies to reduce dust mite allergy symptoms. These therapies are immunotherapy and nasal irrigation. Don’t use also therapies without your doctor’s advice.